“The Lord God placed the man in the Garden of Eden to tend and care for it” (NLT) – Genesis 2:15
The Bible tells us this earth does not belong to us. It belongs to God. (“The earth is the Lord’s and all that is in it…” Psalm 24.1 NRSV). Scripture also tells us that we are placed in this world to tend and care for it. (Genesis 2.15).
A commentary posted by Dean Ohlman reminds us of the Biblical focus — that we are stewards of what God has created. In another article he reminds us that Adam was expected to care for the earth as the Lord cares for it and for us.
Many initiatives to care for our earth are of course personal. At the same time, we take steps to build a stronger corporate awareness to encourage this personal initiative.
- Our property Commission is currently doing an in-depth study on our heating and cooling system to determine how we can be more efficient.
- We recently replaced the majority of our light bulbs with energy efficient bulbs.
- We recycle office supplies such as toner and ink cartridges.
- We use re-useable cups, plates and cutlery rather than paper or styrofoam products where practical. Our goal is to minimize waste and lessen the impact on our landfills.
- FBC maintains recycling bins which seem to get filled most weeks.
- FBC supports programs initiated by Canadian Baptist Ministries that encourage sustainable development.